Saturday, December 10, 2011

Doohickey

I finally replaced the balancer chain adjuster lever aka doohickey on my KLR. I'm told that aside from this Achilles heel of the bike, it is otherwise bulletproof.

The task required several tools to get the job done, including specialized wrenches and springs. However the most useful tool of all was my iPhone and YouTube.

Specifically this video. An absolutely essential tool for doing the upgrade.


This is my bike with the new doohickey installed

It was a bit unnerving doing 120 down the highway when only minutes earlier it was in pieces on the shop floor.



4 comments:

  1. I thought you were kidding about the whole doohickey thing, until I watched the beginning of the instructional video. Also you shouldn't be doing 120 on the highway (at least not mph, ha ha ha).

    ReplyDelete
  2. nah it's only 120kph so that's like 75mph. the bike only does 140ish (85ish)

    this is one of the reasons I didn't go for the R1 or a big ninja cause then it would be mph

    ReplyDelete
  3. Smart man to tone back the temptation. By the way Luc's doc is from somewhere in Eastern Europe and she is always talking to us in grams and such. I just nod my head and pretend like that means something to me, then I plug it into a conversion calculator. Why can't America just get on board with the rest of the world in their measurements?

    ReplyDelete
  4. because most American's don't know that there is a "rest of the world" :)

    ReplyDelete